[oe] Package Maintenance

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Mar 24 19:59:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:24:27PM -0700, Chris Larson wrote:
> [snip]
>> I also don't think the fact that a recipe builds is an excuse to
>> ignore it.  Recipes should be kept in good shape, by current
>> standards, in my opinion.  As an example, many recipes still don't
>> take advantage of the ${BP}, etc variables, and are overriding
>> FILES{DIR,PATH} unnecessarily.
>
> I'm saying this as an example, but, the what-now variable?  And why
> didn't however added a handy new variable regex an update in?  If we're
> going to push cleanups off of the person writing them and onto the
> maintainer, they need to be documented and linked from a single spot or
> so (so people can check a page once a week / whenever and see what's
> been put on their plate).

Not all usage scenarios can be hit by a regex, and regexes are prone
to introducing syntax errors due to not considering every usage.  I'm
not saying don't use them, just pointing out that it's no substitute
for personal care.

BPN is the base package name, basically the package name with
-native/-cross ripped off.  I didn't add it, but it's a lovely thing.
A -native recipe doesn't need to manipulate FILESPATH/FILESDIR to
ensure their file:// uris in SRC_URI are found, for example, since the
base variables are also used.
--
Chris Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com