[oe] Pull request from DoréDevelopment - New: Micro distro/image

Martin Lund mgl at doredevelopment.dk
Sat May 2 09:29:25 UTC 2009

On 02-05-2009 09:45, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 1 maja 2009 o 14:21:35 Martin Lund napisał(a):
>
>> The "Micro" distribution/image is created because we feel that there
>> is a need for a truly tiny and clean distro and image definition in
>> OE for those users out there that needs a very tiny Linux rootfs with
>> virtually nothing installed except busybox, libc, udev, and a few
>> init scripts. On arm the jffs2 image size is only 1 MB (uclibc
>> based). No bloat allowed.
>>

> You already mentioned that you have a bloat in that image - udev is not
> required as busybox-mdev can also populate /dev/ with nodes.
>
> Regards,

Its still work in progress -  thats why I wrote the following in my wiki
todo list ;)

* Replace udev with mdev (a big maybe, depends on mdev maturity)

Initially udev is the one thing that I dont want to compromise too much
on functionality - its important that the device nodes are created
correctly. Disregarding code size, the real downside by picking mdev is
that the implementation supports a different rule base (at least that
was so last time I checked - be it some time ago and back then it was
also quite buggy).

Im going to give mdev a new review soon -  most likely I will go with
mdev in the end for the sake of keeping things simple and tiny
regardless of its limitations.

Actually I plan to review the whole busybox configuration to make sure
its fit.

Br, Martin