[oe] Pull request from DoréDevelopment - New: Micro distro/image

Marco Cavallini koansoftware at gmail.com
Sat May 2 18:14:32 UTC 2009

Martin Lund ha scritto:
> Hello OE dev,
>
> Please pull the changes from the following repository:
>
> git pull git://dev.doredevelopment.dk/oe-micro.git master
>
> This oe-micro repository adds the following files to current dev:
>
> conf/distro/micro-uclibc.conf |   43 +++++++++++++++++
> conf/distro/micro.conf        |  100
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> recipes/images/micro-image.bb |   34 ++++++++++++++
>
> There should be no conflicts with the current OE dev branch.
>
> These files constitute a new distribution named "Micro" and a
> corresponding buildable image target: micro-image
>

> The "Micro" distribution/image is created because we feel that there is
> a need for a truly tiny and clean distro and image definition in OE for
> those users out there that needs a _very_ tiny Linux rootfs with
> virtually nothing installed except busybox, libc, udev, and a few init
> scripts. On arm the jffs2 image size is only 1 MB (uclibc based). No
> bloat allowed.
>
> The micro-image is ideal for users who wants this type of tiny Linux
> rootfs system with only a few custom applications added.
>
> It has been tested to build and run on the following machine types:
>
>    * at91sam9263ek [glibc, uclibc]
>    * x86 [glibc]
>
> As everything else OE it should build for most other machine types as
> well (no guarantee of course).
>
> The micro distribution/image is inspired by the "minimal" distro and
> image configuration - but it takes that one step further as contents are
> heavily stripped down and non needed definitions removed. Thanks to
> those who contributed to minimal distro - good work.
>
> More details on micro can be found in the following wiki:
> http://dev.doredevelopment.dk/wiki/OpenEmbeddedMicro
>
> Note: It is still work in progress and there are things to improve on
> the todo list (see wiki).

It's a pleasure to see someone pursuing our ideas of having a *really*
tiny image as we drawed when we joined OE :-)
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/21188
+1 from me and I'll be glad to contribute with you to this effort.

Cordiali Saluti / Kindest Regards / mit freundlichen Grüssen
--
Marco Cavallini | KOAN sas | Bergamo - Italia
 embedded and real-time software engineering