[oe] [RFC] rw for Lynn Lin

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Sun May 17 14:18:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 09:58 -0400, Philip Balister wrote:
> PS: I know this is getting posted twice ... I am checking the both
> lists.oe.org and oe.org and receiving email.

Yeah, this is a longstanding misfeature of the way this mailing list is
set up and it is a little bit annoying.  What happens is that you can
post to either oe-devel at lists.oe.org, or oe-devel at oe.org, but mailman
always adds Reply-to: oe-devel at lists.oe.org irrespective of which
address was used for posting.  If you hit "Reply to all" on an email
which has different things in To: and Reply-to:, most MUAs will send a
copy of the reply to both places; Mailman doesn't seem to be de-duping
them, which means that we get both showing up on the list.

There are a few different ways to fix it but all of them would require
tweaks to the server configuration:

1. Just turn off the aliasing on the @oe.org address and make everybody
use the @lists.oe.org one.  This would be a bit unfriendly but it's
probably the least administrative effort.

2. Configure Mailman to not add Reply-to at all, and rely on users
always hitting "Reply to all".  This is the best solution if you belong
to the "reply-to considered harmful" school of thought, and/or can live
with some replies accidentally getting sent to just the original poster
and not the whole list.

2. Configure the mail system on lists.oe.org to rewrite oe-devel at oe.org
-> oe-devel at lists.oe.org on all incoming posts so that the To: and
only sees a single address there then it will only send one copy even
with "reply to all".  This is probably the best solution if you want to
keep the Reply-to header.

4. Configure the lists.oe.org mail system to spot these dupes (which
have the same Message-ID) and drop all but the first copy.

p.