[oe] [oe-commits] Roman I Khimov : (e) glibc-package: fix kernel version passed to qemu

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Mon May 18 20:16:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 23:54 +0400, Roman I Khimov wrote:
> On Monday 18 May 2009 23:37:09 Phil Blundell wrote:
> > The other thing to say about OLDEST_KERNEL is that it was intended to be
> > controlled by the DISTRO, not by the MACHINE.  In other words, it's a
> > policy control ("kernel x.xx is the earliest one we care about; it's
> > okay to omit the compatibility bits for older ones") and not a target
> > attribute ("kernel x.xx is the minimum required for correct
> > functionality").  We don't currently have a variable with the latter
> > semantics and nor am I very convinced that it would be a good idea to
> > introduce one.
>
> We can add soft 'sane' assignments to machines and then distros can override
> that to whatever they want if they want to, or not?

No, the MACHINE doesn't know what version of libc is going to be
selected and hence what kernel version will be needed.  Even if it did,
this plan would lose if the DISTRO selected an older kernel than the
MACHINE requires, which in turn would make it difficult in practice for
DISTROs to do anything useful with this variable.

What is your objection to just selecting the highest kernel version that
qemu supports for the target architecture?  That seems like an easy fix
and one that makes this whole problem go away without requiring either
any extra variables or any semantic changes to existing variables.

p.