[oe] console-image trying to build X?

Mike Westerhof (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Thu May 28 15:38:23 UTC 2009

Peter Chubb wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I'm using the tip-of-tree as of this morning openembedded
> recipes to build a console image for the Beagleboard.  After a while,
> I see:
> NOTE: collecting binary locales from locale tree
> NOTE: Multiple libraries (libnss_nis.so.2, libnss_nisplus.so.2, libnss_hesiod.so.2) found, but LEAD_SONAME 'libc.so' doesn't match any of them
> NOTE: Couldn't find shared library provider for libgcc_s.so.1
> NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 554 tasks of which 0 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.
> ERROR: '/home/peterc/src/OpenEmbedded/openembedded/recipes/xorg-proto/xproto-native_7.0.15.bb' failed

xproto-native is missing the dependency on util-macros-native.

I lack the familiarity with the X recipes to know where this dependency
should be added; perhaps someone who knows this better can just add that.

In the meantime, just "bitbake util-macros-native", and restart your
original build; this time xorg-proto will build correctly.

> Why are the recipes even trying to build X for a console-image?  (to
> me, console means no X or graphics) And how can I work out how to fix
> the error?

This has been a topic of discussion from time-to-time.  In all
likelihood, X is being pulled in to satisfy dbus or bluez (I don't
recall which off the top of my head).  You probably will not end up with
the full X packages on your resulting image; OE just need to build that
in order to satisfy some very specific build-time dependencies.

As a side note, I have been meaning for some time to create a "no-X"
version of the particular package that causes this, to suit my own
needs; once that gets done there might be an easy way to do a build that
won't have this dependency.

Regards,
Mike (mwester)