[oe] OEDEM: Summary of 'OE and Poky', 'Hosting', 'Bugtracker'

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Tue Nov 10 13:07:26 UTC 2009

===========
Poky and OE
===========

RP still works on Poky, since Poky is easier to break, RP has more
freedom to break stuff and try new ideas for improvements that will
also benefit OE.

Intel owns Poky as the brandname, however there seems to be no clear
direction right now where they want to take it.

OE is being improved gradually to support the merits of Poky, although
due to the sheer amount of recipes it will probably always lack behind
in perceived quality. OE and Poky do try to remain in sync, though.

As a product, it is important for Poky to have a short list of
people with commit access. This already adds up to the quality of the
metadata. The dictator model works for Poky, but does not work for OE.

It is noted that the current dev process does not work particularly
well,
some people think it is too easy to get commit access to OE.
(Editor's note: See also stable branch session)

has been enabled. Various people work on getting the remaining services
on amethyst to work on LTG (which is a powerful machine these days).
Phil and Phillip are improving the server configuration to get rid
of our mail/DNS problems.

We will do changes on the git layout, e.g. org.oe.dev is becoming
'master'
and user branches will live in a seperate repository.

Bugtracker
We will keep the bugtracker, but perform a radical cleanup, i.e.
all non-OE and non-BB versions/milestones/components will be dumped.
We will improve the description of what belongs into the bugtracker
and what not. We will also reinstatiate the bug squashing weekends.

Cheers,

:M: