[oe] Fwd: OEDEM: Summary of 'OE and Poky', 'Hosting', 'Bugtracker'

Esben Haabendal esbenhaabendal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 18:35:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
> <mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:
>> Sorry, this might have been unclear on my part, it's just different
>> projects on the same repository, not different repositories. We'd like
>> to and recommend OE developers to host their branch in a 'contrib'
>> project on git.oe.org.
>
> I see no point in having a contrib tree with many users on it; I much
> prefer to have a by-user tree and then allowing them to do whatever
> they want on this tree.
>
> If someone needs to contribute on a tree, he can fork it and make it
> available for pulling. This is the easiest way of starting to  "train"
> people to get used to the pull-model.

Exactly.  It is quite hard to appreciate the pull-model before trying it
for some real work.

> A simple solution might be to use gitorious for oe as being done in
> qt; that avoids the admin hassle and provides more user friendly
> interface for it.

Good idea.  Git admin overhead could definitely be reduced/simplified
by switching to gitorious.  And it doesn't seem like OE is crowded
by people with system administration as their 2nd hobby...

/Esben