[oe] OEDEM 2009 summary: Package management

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 20:33:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 05:12:01PM +0000, Phil Blundell wrote:
> This was the last session of the OEDEM schedule and the number of
> participants was much reduced compared to the previous ones.  Partly as
> a result of that it was also very short.
>
> Key issue: opkg is the defacto standard for package management in
> OE-derived distros but its quality is perceived as low.  What can we do
> about this?

Today I've "fixed" one problem we had with opkg in shr.

opkg installs own version of update-alternatives

its the same script as the one packaged as update-alternatives-cworth

its installed to /usr/bin (update-alternatives-cworth is using
/usr/sbin so in PATH is after version from opkg)

I've patch for update-alternatives-cworth to use alternative which was
installed last if there is no alternative with higher priority (see
http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?h=shr/merge&id=6c1ed757c1498aff5b4b1b876332d2981f0855a1
)

And it was really confusing to have 2 simillar update-alternatives
scripts in image.

So it should be removed from opkg as I did in
http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?h=shr/merge&id=376cca189eed7a13de5a348e630c0af274c4704b
http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?h=shr/merge&id=416f6e5f5cfa23f0b3ae731af5c2a1dcd1e27189

or opkg should provide virtual/update-alternatives as distros are using
preferred_provider for that already.

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa