[oe] OEDEM 2009 summary: Package management

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 13:15:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 05:12:01PM +0000, Phil Blundell wrote:
> > This was the last session of the OEDEM schedule and the number of
> > participants was much reduced compared to the previous ones.  Partly as
> > a result of that it was also very short.
> >
> > Key issue: opkg is the defacto standard for package management in
> > OE-derived distros but its quality is perceived as low.  What can we do
> > about this?
>
> Today I've "fixed" one problem we had with opkg in shr.
>
> opkg installs own version of update-alternatives
>
> its the same script as the one packaged as update-alternatives-cworth
>
> its installed to /usr/bin (update-alternatives-cworth is using
> /usr/sbin so in PATH is after version from opkg)
>
> I've patch for update-alternatives-cworth to use alternative which was
> installed last if there is no alternative with higher priority (see
>
> http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?h=shr/merge&id=6c1ed757c1498aff5b4b1b876332d2981f0855a1
> )
>
> And it was really confusing to have 2 simillar update-alternatives
> scripts in image.
>
> So it should be removed from opkg as I did in
>
> http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?h=shr/merge&id=376cca189eed7a13de5a348e630c0af274c4704b
>
> http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?h=shr/merge&id=416f6e5f5cfa23f0b3ae731af5c2a1dcd1e27189
>
> or opkg should provide virtual/update-alternatives as distros are using
> preferred_provider for that already.

with update-alternatives removed from opkg-native I noticed that

virtual/update-alternatives-native defined in sane-feed-ipk.inc is not
installed at all before building any image, so created image is not
bootable, because there are missing links for busybox and kernel image etc.

where should be "DEPENDS = virtual/update-alternatives-native" to make sure,
that it is pulled before any package calls update-alternatives?

maybe tasks/task-boot.bb where is just virtual/kernel now?

Regards,