[oe] Using OpenEmbedded for a virtual environment

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Thu Nov 12 09:45:39 UTC 2009

В сообщении от Среда 11 ноября 2009 22:53:25 автор Peter Chubb написал:
>    We're trying to use OE to build a hypervisor, a paravirtualised
>    kernel, and a couple of root file systems.  I'm looking for any
>    best-practice examples of how to set it up for this kind of
>    purpose.  Has anyone done this kind of thing?

What exactly is a problem? We've done this in different kinds of settings.
Generally, it's very easy to do multiple images (separate tasks with lists of
all you need for those images, one "container" image for other images if
needed, interdependcies via do_rootfs (there was patch do it via DEPENDS, but
it got reverted)), multikernel (for example, if you want to have one Linux
kernel controling real hardware and another one fully virtualized) build
doesn't work out of the box AFAIK, but can be fixed. Building hypervisor or
microkernel is also not hard, you just need to add proper dependencies to your
kernels and configure bootloader appropriately.