[oe] xterm: either fix it, or remove it. please.

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Nov 12 13:15:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> PS: Personally I think it is a bad idea to change the output format
> of a utility that is more than 30 years old and that is so
> widespread. (and I did not even see an obvious way to get the old
> behaviour).

  someone on the fedora list just suggested the following if all you
want is the numeric mode of a file:

$ stat -c %a /etc/passwd
644
$

  i'm fairly sure that's safe for the rare occasion when you need that
information.  but, as i suggested, given that this only caused a
problem with a single package, it's probably not worth obsessing over
unless that breakage begins to occur more often.

rday