[oe] how to remove all traces of a previous package build?

Chris Conroy Chris.Conroy at hillcrestlabs.com
Fri Nov 13 16:03:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 07:00 -0500, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Richard Purdie wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 05:56 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > surely a dumb question, but what's the recipe for deleting every
> > > trace of a single previous package build, so i know i'm rebuilding it
> > > absolutely from step one?  i'll use that to test a rebuild of the
> > > packages that are failing for me.
> >
> > bitbake X -c clean
>
> Then remove all packages under tmp/deploy; also tmp/pkgdata/*/X and
> tmp/pkgdata/*/runtime/X*; and tmp/staging/*/*/shlibs/X*. Otherwise you may
> get problems if you've switched PACKAGE_ARCH in a recipe, or switched
> between packages that provide the same shared library.
>
> I don't think there's a way to remove files from the staging directory.
> Maybe with packaged staging?
>
> Mike

I almost wonder if we should consider adding a task which handles the
above in addition to the standard bitbake clean. I was burned a few
weeks ago by having a stale package in my deploy directory that kept
getting chosen over the new one I was building due to some versioning
nastiness. I can see how automatically purging stuff from deploy would
be considered destructive, but IMHO there should be a command which just
nukes every last bit of a package the build system knows about.

--Chris