[oe] Initial Support for the Samsung Omnia (SGH-i900)

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Mon Nov 16 09:51:24 UTC 2009

Hello.

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 15:34, Alex Ferguson wrote:

> Currently, the kernel comes from the Andromnia project, and uses their git
> repository to fetch the sources. They are the only ones who are actively
> working on a kernel, and working together should help speed up the process
> of porting the Linux kernel on the SGH-i900, no matter the userspace
> implementation.

That sounds good.

> The kernel requires the gspi8686 firmware images from Marvell for the WiFi
> adapter to work. Currently, the firmware files are copied into the kernel
> source tree under the directory "firmware" for static inclusion. That's
> because of certain constraints with Android.

Can you elaborate on this constraints? I would expect that even android loads
the firmware from /lib/firmware

BTW, you are bulding the kernel with OE, but using an android image?
Sounds strange to me.

> Question: I'd like to keep the same behavior, but I'm not certain of the
> exact way. I could DEPEND on the marvell-gspi-fw package and then have the
> kernel recipe copy the firmware files from STAGING_LIBDIR. But that seems
> like an error prone behavior.

It is, don't do it.

> Is there any other way, short of providing my
> own files in SRC_URI or not including the firmware in the kernel at all?

There should be a way to reference the same files in the SRC_URI as the marvell
firmware recipe does. That would at least avoid having the same firmware files
in the tree twice.

However I would like to understand the need for having it in the kernel tree
first.

regards
Stefan Schmidt