[oe] Initial Support for the Samsung Omnia (SGH-i900)

Alex Ferguson thoughtmonster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:11:29 UTC 2009

Greetings,

Actually, the need for integrated firmware was misunderstood on my part.
It's technically possible for the firmware to be loaded externally under
Android or Angstrom. As for mentioning Android, I would've liked to be
compatible with both projects (Andromnia and Angstrom), but I have since
revised that plan since it is technically unfeasible.

However, I am having some problems with the Marvell firmware. The driver
expects firmware images with names like "gspi8686.bin" and
"gspi8686_hlp.bin". The marvell-gspi-fw package contains firmware files with
non-compatible names. Even with compatible names, the driver fails to find
the firmware under /lib/firmware, though this probably hasn't anything to do
with OE.

There exists a git repository on git.kernel.org with the required firmware
files, though I believe it's better I fix the marvell-gspi-fw package for
future use, as I found no packages depending on it and thus risking
breakage.

Also, I fixed some issues that were previously present with the kernel
recipe I uploaded. Once I fix these firmware issues I'll post a git patch of
the revised kernel and machine configurations.

Thanks a lot,

Alex Ferguson.