[oe] Which distro for OE development?

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Nov 19 13:37:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 13:06 +0000, Hodgson, Simon wrote:
> I'm looking to make it as easy as possible to get started, so ideally all the packages I need will be available from that distro's standard repositry.
>
> I've tried SuSE in the past and given up trying to get all of the required tools installed, and more recently been using Debian, but the Python version in Debian is a few versions behind and there was talk of OE soon requiring a more up to date version.

I'm using Debian on most of my machines and I am fairly happy with it.

The python that's currently in Debian is fine for bitbake 1.8.x.  By the
time OE starts to require bitbake 1.10.x, I suspect Debian's python
support will have caught up: failing that, you can always install the
package from Ubuntu.

p.