[oe] Which distro for OE development?

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo ricardo.salveti at openbossa.org
Thu Nov 19 13:50:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 13:06 +0000, Hodgson, Simon wrote:
>> I'm looking to make it as easy as possible to get started, so ideally all the packages I need will be available from that distro's standard repositry.
>>
>> I've tried SuSE in the past and given up trying to get all of the required tools installed, and more recently been using Debian, but the Python version in Debian is a few versions behind and there was talk of OE soon requiring a more up to date version.
>
> I'm using Debian on most of my machines and I am fairly happy with it.
>
> The python that's currently in Debian is fine for bitbake 1.8.x.  By the
> time OE starts to require bitbake 1.10.x, I suspect Debian's python
> support will have caught up: failing that, you can always install the
> package from Ubuntu.

I'm using both Ubuntu 9.04 and Gentoo and they are working quite fine.

Didn't test with latest Ubuntu version, but probably someone already
did, as it's now such a common distro.

I think people were having problems with latest Fedora release, but
they can tell more about that.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo