[oe] [RFC] Merging of stable/2009 into dev

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Nov 19 14:43:21 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Phil Blundell wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 11:42 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>>> Ok but what is the planned migration path from users that used
>>> stable/2009 to stable/2010?
>>>
>>> I mean, when we start stable/2010 we expect that users that based
>>> their distros in stable/2009 need to redo all work to move to
>>> stable/2010? If we merge stable/2009 into .dev then this is going
>>> to be much easier.
>>
>> I am still struggling to understand what you mean by "merge
>> stable/2009 into .dev".  Can you please explain what exactly you
>> think the result of this merge would look like?  Maybe you could
>> pick a couple of sample packages and give a concrete description of
>> how the merged version would differ from what is currently in .dev.
>
>    what *is* the protocol for a new OE release?  if one were to emulate
> kernel development, it would normally involve, perhaps, starting a new
> branch headed toward, say, stable/2010, where packages would slowly be
> frozen and, as the release date approached, we'd see tags like "rc1",
> "rc2" and so on, and a final freeze and tag of "stable/2010", no?
>
>    in the meantime, the .dev branch would chug merrily on.  is that
> even remotely close?

Basically, the users define a release. From the discussion at OEDEM it
is clear that there groups of people with similar (but very different
needs).

I don't see a problem with groups of people getting together and
defining a workflow for a branch they maintain. There is more than one
right way to do this.

Philip