[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : opkg-target,sdk: bump SRCREV

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:34:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:39:27PM +1030, Graham Gower wrote:
> Is there a reason why another update-alternatives exists at all?
> Wouldn't it be better to get fixes merged upstream?

I'm not sure what update-alternatives-dpkg in OE does different
grep -R  virtual/update-alternatives conf/distro
shows only mamona.conf using dpkg

Even with fixes merged upstream we should block installing own u-a with
images, because its really confusing to have one u-a in /usr/bin/ and
second in /usr/sbin/ and if someone in OE doesn't use opkg as pkg
manager then we still need virtual/u-a.

Maybe add
PROVIDES = "virtua/update-alternatives" to opkg recipes (the same for
-native) and switch default providers in distro configs?

> I would be quite happy to accept diffs.

You can consider u-a changes in
http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/1291/
should apply cleanly to your u-a, last time I checked it was the same as
unpatched update-alternatives-cworth in OE repo.

First 2 chunks are for use case, when I install new package foo-bar which
provides alternative for foo with same priority as some other package
foo-old before.
Then I would like to use alternative from foo-bar if there is no
alternative with highest priority (foo-bar and foo-old have highest
alternatives installed)

Last chunk solves issue when you use update-alternatives for links to
directories, when new link is "installed" inside the old alternative
directory instead of replacing old link.

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa