[oe] Mamona: classes and configs for fist review

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Fri Nov 27 17:06:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo
<ricardo.salveti at openbossa.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Otavio Salvador
>> The changes looks good to me at least. One thing that I'd interesting
>> to know is how are you using the PRODUCT setting and what use cases
>> you've been solving with it.
>
> Cool, thanks for reviewing it.

No problem; you're welcome.

> The PRODUCT override came with the need of using Mamona with a common
> machine but for different purposes. Instead of maintaining different
> trees, we decided to create the concept of a product and define there
> the preferred version and providers for different packages.
>
> With this we could work with both "products" at the same tree, just
> using the overrides at the product file to define the best behavior
> for that machine.

I see.

> One single example we had was regarding the legal check phase of a
> product, that we knew that some version of some packages was already
> approved, when at the same moment newer versions weren't (so with
> another product that we just started we could use the newer version,
> but for the older one we had keep the same old version, because was
> close to be finished).
>
>> The only cosmetic thing that you might change is to reorder the patch
>> that introduces PRODUCT in bitbake.conf and the distro change to allow
>> for easier understanding of where it come from.
>
> Ok, will change that. Will also change the commit message to explain
> that the idea came from mamona.

Well but it looks like that to it properly work you need to use one
$TMPDIR for each "product" otherwise if this product has a patch (or
requires one) and the package is already built it won't get it.

Am I missing anything?

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br