[oe] Mamona: classes and configs for fist review

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo ricardo.salveti at openbossa.org
Fri Nov 27 17:11:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo
> <ricardo.salveti at openbossa.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Otavio Salvador
>>> The changes looks good to me at least. One thing that I'd interesting
>>> to know is how are you using the PRODUCT setting and what use cases
>>> you've been solving with it.
>>
>> Cool, thanks for reviewing it.
>
> No problem; you're welcome.
>
>> The PRODUCT override came with the need of using Mamona with a common
>> machine but for different purposes. Instead of maintaining different
>> trees, we decided to create the concept of a product and define there
>> the preferred version and providers for different packages.
>>
>> With this we could work with both "products" at the same tree, just
>> using the overrides at the product file to define the best behavior
>> for that machine.
>
> I see.
>
>> One single example we had was regarding the legal check phase of a
>> product, that we knew that some version of some packages was already
>> approved, when at the same moment newer versions weren't (so with
>> another product that we just started we could use the newer version,
>> but for the older one we had keep the same old version, because was
>> close to be finished).
>>
>>> The only cosmetic thing that you might change is to reorder the patch
>>> that introduces PRODUCT in bitbake.conf and the distro change to allow
>>> for easier understanding of where it come from.
>>
>> Ok, will change that. Will also change the commit message to explain
>> that the idea came from mamona.
>
> Well but it looks like that to it properly work you need to use one
> $TMPDIR for each "product" otherwise if this product has a patch (or
> requires one) and the package is already built it won't get it.
>
> Am I missing anything?

Yep, you're right, you need to do that in order to have a clean build
for each product. At mamona we set that while configuring the
environment, and in our case we were using a buildbot for each
machine, doing always a clean build, so it wasn't actually a problem
for us.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo