[oe] Revert Request for linux -> linux-gnu changes

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Oct 8 13:42:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 15:23 +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> As hard as it is. I agree that it should be backed out and put in a branch and
> tested on non EABI systems. We find new regressions every day.

Yes, I agree.  It isn't even completely obvious to me that this change
has a great deal of merit.  As I wrote in:

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2009-September/013577.html

it doesn't seem as if switching TARGET_OS from "linux" to "linux-gnu"
brings any benefits other than trivial cosmetic ones, and it is a shame
to break everybody's builds just for that.

So, personally, I would be tempted to just revert it and leave it
reverted rather than burning a lot of manpower on trying to make
"linux-gnu" work for everybody at once.  If individual DISTROs want to
switch to linux-gnu then they are obviously welcome to do so and pick up
the pieces for themselves.

p.