[oe] Revert Request for linux -> linux-gnu changes

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:33:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 15:23 +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> As hard as it is. I agree that it should be backed out and put in a branch and
>> tested on non EABI systems. We find new regressions every day.
>
> Yes, I agree.  It isn't even completely obvious to me that this change
> has a great deal of merit.  As I wrote in:
>
> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2009-September/013577.html
>
> it doesn't seem as if switching TARGET_OS from "linux" to "linux-gnu"
> brings any benefits other than trivial cosmetic ones, and it is a shame
> to break everybody's builds just for that.
>
> So, personally, I would be tempted to just revert it and leave it
> reverted rather than burning a lot of manpower on trying to make
> "linux-gnu" work for everybody at once.  If individual DISTROs want to
> switch to linux-gnu then they are obviously welcome to do so and pick up
> the pieces for themselves.

It seems to be more entwined that it initially appeared to me. This
changes obviously
needs time to settle in as it gets tested in different ways. I thought
we would fix the fallouts as we find them
but I am fine to revert it as it seems to what other devs are leaning towards.
I will revert the cosmetic parts.