[oe] Updating kernels to latest stable versions

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Tue Oct 20 12:45:03 UTC 2009

Hello Phil,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 18:47 +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>> Dnia poniedziałek, 19 października 2009 o 18:28:33 Stanislav Brabec
>> napisał(a):
>>
>> > Maybe it should be 2.6.21.7-r0 instead of 2.6.21-r13 and do the same for
>> > other patched recipes.
>>
>> No, your suggestion will break everyone who uses PREF_VER_linux = "2.6.21" for
>> example.
>
> I guess that depends on your definition of "breaks".  One way of looking
> at it is that folks who set PREFERRED_VERSION_linux = "2.6.21" are
> wanting the actual version 2.6.21, not 2.6.21.7, and might be dismayed
> to find that they have suddenly been bumped to the latter with no way to
> get back to what they had before.
>
> 2.6.21.7 clearly is a new upstream release and I would have thought that
> it is appropriate to reflect that in PV rather than hiding it behind a
> PR increment.

Well, it is mostly bugfixes into a release. It is the same thing we
do when we apply a patch in a package and bump the revision. The only
difference is that there's a team doing it outside of OE and this
patches are huge.

It is NOT a upstream release; it is a stable release being "updated"
to fix critical bugs and regressions.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br