[oe] Revert "package bbclass: strip static libs as well"

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Fri Oct 23 11:07:06 UTC 2009

Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 23-10-09 11:33, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> > The last bit is that I would like to put /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a into the
> > libc-dev package
>
> Glibc has its own custom packaging, which we'll probably need to tweaks
> as well.

I think that the logic should be:

libfoo.a exists and libfoo.so exists => put .a to -static.

libfoo.a exists and libfoo.so does not exist => put .a to -dev.

This logic will work as most users expect and will need no exception for
glibc.

But I would do even one step forward:

In last 12 years I did not need any of system static library instances.
With exception of bootloader authors, almost nobody else needs static
libraries.

That is why I would like to introduce new global default:
--disable-static (via variable, site config or so).

Only packages that explicitly require or explicitly build the static
library will have them (in -dev or -static sub-package, see above).

Distributions that build all-in-one binary can enable it in the
per-distro config, all other distros will remain without nearly all
static libraries.

--
Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus