[oe] "Warning: You do not seem to have the base GStreamer plugins installed. All audio and video support has been disabled"

Stuart Gray stuart68 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:45:50 UTC 2009

Hi

I have been working on integrating Qt4-embedded, phonon and gstreamer into
my image. This has taken some time and now that I am in position where I
believe all of the correct packages are installed I have started to test my
system.

I have loaded phonon-backend and libqsqlite manually as the Qt integration
does not seem to pull these into the image.

Sql is working as expected as my database is created. It seems to be the
gstremer installation that is now problematic.

When I run my application I get the following error:

"Warning: You do not seem to have the base GStreamer plugins installed.
          All audio and video support has been disabled"
Phonon::GStreamer::Backend: Failed to initialize GStreamer

(<unknown>:1640): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_set_state: assertion
`GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no
objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ).

I have tried to use opkg to understand what libraries are missing.

One library fails to be located libc6. Looking at the web pages
http://www.gumstix.net/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/, there is no
link. I am not sure if this is required, but looking through the Debian
packages website it suggests that this is a dependency of the
gstreamer-plugins-base package. This does not mean that the OE solution
requires it, but I am not sure where else to look for help.

I am at a loss as to how to solve this and need help urgently.

I have attached several of my bb/inc files which should show what I am
trying to achieve.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Stuart