[oe] functional Matchbox2 in oe.dev

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Tue Sep 29 21:23:43 UTC 2009

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia środa, 23 września 2009 o 23:23:38 Stanislav Brabec napisał(a):
>
> > I just spent some time to make Matchbox2 working, as I considered is as
> > possible optimal solution for minimalistic GTK+/GPE based environment.
>
> Thanks a lot - I had that on my todolist but lacked time for it.

There is still a lot of things to do:

- No CPU load and wireless applet (well, old ones works), maybe better
  integration of bluez.

- Impossible to change applet list without restart (the code does not
  implement applet destructors).

- No way to close "split screen windows" (e. g. audio mixer)

- It would be nice to make possible to change some main windows to
  non-full-screen (e. g. pidgin list+talk windows, terminal+application)

- Window manager configuration does not allow to make relative size
  panels with XRandR.

- Add XRandR support code to matchbox-desktop

- Fix matchbox-common menu definition to show all installed
  applications.

- Fix everything for both "icon theme" icons and deprecated "pixmaps".

- Make possible to manipulate with windows from window list (it would
  make possible to make main windows borderless.

- Make hicolor icon theme.

- I18N

> I do not know does mb-wm2 was ever finished. OpenedHand never used it in Poky
> images and Moblin development moved to Mutter (or how was that Clutter based
> WM named).

I guess it was not finished. The last race condition crash patch (which
caused several crashes daily on my Zaurus) still rots only in the
Bugzilla and was not yet checked into SVN.

Also SVN version of panel is unstable and crashing many times daily.

> MB-wm2 was meantiirc for Fremantle (Nokia N900 system) but I did
> not checked is it used or not there.

It looks so. There are simple and maemo managers.