[oe] Using patchfiles with bitbake

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Thu Apr 15 08:48:41 UTC 2010

On Thursday 15 April 2010 09:18:52 Ardavon Falls wrote:
> Every time I try and add my own patchfiles to a bitbake recipe it fails
> with the following error...
>
> No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
> 3 out of 3 hunks ignored
> Patch unifdef-native_2.6.18.patch does not apply (enforce with -f)
> ERROR: Printing the environment of the function
> ERROR: Error in executing:
> ERROR: Exception:<class 'CmdError'> Message:Command Error: exit status: 1
> Output:
> Applying patch unifdef-native_2.6.18.patch
>
> I'm creating the patch with the following command line
>
> diff -crB unifdef.c.orig unifdef.c > unifdef-native_2.6.18.patch

Hi,

two things. The first one is you should consider using quilt as it makes your
life more easy and you would avoid running into this problem.

The other part is when you compare your patch with other patches in OE, most
of them start with "--- a/...", "+++ b/" and by default we invoke the patch
command with "-p1" from the source directory. With your patch this does not
work as you have no additional slashes that could be removed.

The way out is to either add this context (e.g. by using quilt) or to use
;pnum=0 behind your ;patch=1.

i hope this helps