[oe] dm365 and OE

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Mon Apr 26 17:44:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:40:17PM +0200, Raffaele Recalcati wrote:
> I'm a little bit confused about the good direction for developing for dm365.
> Arago overlay seems nice, it works, but uses also arago-oe-dev, that is a

arago-oe-dev is a snapshot of OE's org.openembedded.dev and updated quite
often - usually no more than few days behind. The time buffer is to ensure
everything builds in Arago and nothing is broken (the recent example would
be the base class broken for couple days in OE).

> git tree separated from OE (kept merged sometimes), and Code Sourcery
> toolchain.
> In OE instead I see many codecs inside recipes/ti directory, but I don't
> know their status.

Currently, recipes/ti directory is the same between Arago and OE, so it
doesn't matter much which one you use.

> Anyone can point me to the right direction?
>
> arago + cs

Unlike Koen, I suggest the first option - arago+cs :)

> OE + cs
> OE + its builtin toolchain

So, it's up to you what to use...

Arago is meant to be very close to Angstrom (we try to keep them in sync),
but limited to TI platforms (Angstrom supports more). Arago is used as a
stabilization vehicle for official TI products. While Angstrom is a purely
community distro, Arago is bound by some legal limitations/requirements and
can be thought of as a corporate/enterprise distro (OE has ENTERPRISE_DISTRO
for things like this). All the applicable fixes and modifications in Arago are
pushed back to OE/Angstrom, plus Arago itself is in the public git.

Koen is the maintainer for Angstrom, I'm the maintainer for Arago. Both of us
are employed by TI and both of us are also OpenEmbedded developers.

Hope this makes it more clear for you.

--
Denys