[oe] [arago-devel] dm365 and OE

Raffaele Recalcati lamiaposta71 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 01:48:17 UTC 2010

2010/4/26 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org>

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:40:17PM +0200, Raffaele Recalcati wrote:
> > I'm a little bit confused about the good direction for developing for
> dm365.
> > Arago overlay seems nice, it works, but uses also arago-oe-dev, that is a
>
> arago-oe-dev is a snapshot of OE's org.openembedded.dev and updated quite
> often - usually no more than few days behind. The time buffer is to ensure
> everything builds in Arago and nothing is broken (the recent example would
> be the base class broken for couple days in OE).

ok

> > git tree separated from OE (kept merged sometimes), and Code Sourcery
> > toolchain.
> > In OE instead I see many codecs inside recipes/ti directory, but I don't
> > know their status.
>
> Currently, recipes/ti directory is the same between Arago and OE, so it
> doesn't matter much which one you use.

good

> > Anyone can point me to the right direction?
> >
> > arago + cs
>
> Unlike Koen, I suggest the first option - arago+cs :)

The real difference is the toolchain.

> > OE + cs
> > OE + its builtin toolchain
>
> So, it's up to you what to use...

Yes, I have to choose.

> Arago is meant to be very close to Angstrom (we try to keep them in sync),
> but limited to TI platforms (Angstrom supports more). Arago is used as a
> stabilization vehicle for official TI products. While Angstrom is a purely
> community distro, Arago is bound by some legal limitations/requirements and
> can be thought of as a corporate/enterprise distro (OE has
> ENTERPRISE_DISTRO
> for things like this). All the applicable fixes and modifications in Arago
> are
> pushed back to OE/Angstrom, plus Arago itself is in the public git.

I'll check "legal limitations/requirements" .
Also I have to check if packages PREFERRED_VERSION are good for my purposes.

> Koen is the maintainer for Angstrom, I'm the maintainer for Arago. Both of
> us
> are employed by TI and both of us are also OpenEmbedded developers.
>
> Hope this makes it more clear for you.

Yes.
I'll try to go on with both for some weeks.
But, first of all, I need a dvsdk running on dm365 with Arago.
By now, I can't build any ti recipe for dm365 in Arago (arago-next).
I could build dvsdk externally following the readme, but I think it is
better to re-use you work.
Which are the recipes that I can build for dm365?
In case of problem I, and my team, will contribute to the work.

For Koen:
Instead, for OE environment, I have some problems creating the setup.
I supposed to use dev branch (openembedded.org setup instructions) and I'd
like a local.conf file in order to know which angstrom version is better to
choose.

Raffaele