[oe] legacy staging: call for action

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 11:49:23 UTC 2010

Dear all,

This is a call for action for legacy staging.

The issue has been brought up a number of times (e.g. [1] [2], but I see
little action.

For some part this might be due to people not being aware any more of their
recipes.
Therefore I tried it identify the owner of the respective files.

My best guess for the owner is to look at who created the do_stage line.
I found these by doing a git blame on all recipes (*.bb and *.inc) with a
do_stage clause and then grep for the do_stage line.

In the attached file (which I hope will pass the mailing list) you find the
results.
I've also uploaded the file to http://filebin.ca/xotgad/do_stage so if it is
not attached you can find it there.

My request to you all:
Can you go through the list and for the recipes that are apparently from you
either:
- remove the file (if it is an old version not worth keeping)
- fix the staging

And, while you're at it, why not have a look at the recipe to see if there
is a native version that can be merged.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation!

Frans. (who discovered that he also had some recipes that were not done yet)

PS: The list is by no means intended to be a name-and-shame list. Quite the
opposite. People who are on the list many times obviously also contributed a
lot to our community!
And yeah, I know it is a lot of work, but if we want to get this done action
is needed.
Those do_stage lines are not going to disappear magically.

PPS: And I know the mechanism to produce the list is quite crude, but at
least it gives a decent indication (and I am aware if you just copied a
recipe from an older version, that now suddenly makes you the "owner").
If someone has a better division, feel free to bring it up.
(and if someone has a good mechanism to identify the owners of the native
recipes, please let me know).

Have fun! Frans (who will try to fix his recipes later this week, not too
sure about apache and mysql though).

[1]
http://www.mail-archive.com/openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org/msg08165.html
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/34736