[oe] testing branch 2010-08-23

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Aug 24 14:58:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As detailed in the following page, we are trying to get a testing
> branch going where we try to verify OE builds for a number of
> combinations of distro/machine/target/
>
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Testing
>
> I have branched dev.oe.org to the testing-testing branch, and have
> verified it builds the following.
>
> beagleboard     angstrom-2008.1         beagleboard-linuxtag2010-demo-image
>        Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit     User:Cbrake
> beagleboard     angstrom-2008.1         console-image   Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
>     User:Cbrake
>
> Next Monday, we will merge testing-testing to the testing branch, and
> tag it with the testing_2010-08-23 tag, and note the combinations that
> build in the above wiki page.
>
> We are looking for people who are willing to test clean builds of
> other combinations on a regular basis, or other ideas on how to make
> this "testing" concept work.  My initial thought is to work on a
> weekly cycle, but of course not every combination will be tested every
> week.
>
> If this gains enough traction, perhaps we will want to make the
> testing branch the default OE meta-data branch so that new users by
> default get something that will probably build.  I think its also very
> useful to give users a known starting point.  With the myriad of
> combinations available, its useful to know what is a good baseline.

I like the concept.  It seems not unlike the 'master' vs 'next' or linux vs
linux-test, or indeed, as you imply, unstable vs testing in debian.  I do
want to point out that you could, if you chose to, include the tested
baselines in the message attached to the tag (if annotated).  The only
downside to that being you couldn't add to it after the fact the way you
could with a wiki.  At a minimum, I'd link to the wiki page for that tag
from a tag message.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com