[oe] PR on native recipe

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:32:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:15:40PM +0200, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Fahad Usman asked a while ago on how to deal with PR in native recipes
> if the native recipe does an include of the non-native recipe (which
> is quite common).
> Currently I see two solutions being used.
>
> One is to give a native recipe its own PR. Issue is that if the target
> recipe changes, the native recipe should also have a PR bump (and I
> fear that that is often forgotten).
> The other is to have no PR in the native recipe and bump the target
> recipe PR even if the native recipe only changes.
>
> Both occur now. What is the preferred solution?
>
> (btw there are other solutions possible too. Not sure if something like
> PR += ".0"
> in the native recipe is possible. That could be a good alternative.

This is not good, because after PR there is DISTRO_PR, so for:
non-native PR = "r1"
DISTRO_PR="4"

now you add native PR += ".0" and from
PKGR    ?= "${PR}${DISTRO_PR}"

PKGR r1.4 you get r1.0.4 which is lower, so at least you had to increase
PR in non-native to introduce PR += in non-native.

changing PR in non-native seems like safe solution to me (unneeded
rebuild/upgrade because of native recipe changes doesn't cost that much IMHO).

Regards,
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com