[oe] [oe-commits] Frans Meulenbroeks : gtk+: remove old versions

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:28:18 UTC 2010

Hello Florian, Frans,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/31 Florian Boor <florian.boor at kernelconcepts.de>:
>>
>> I do not agree with this. Some older Gtk+ releases are useful on devices with
>> limited RAM and we have some patches for these we do not have for modern ones.
>
> Ok. I restore as soon as I can (don't have access to a git tree right now).

I agree with Florian to keep those packages, but I praise the effort
of Frans to clean our meta-mess a bit.

Some packages have a tendency to increase their dependency tree each
time a new major release is made, and especially for those recipes,
keeping more limited (or more efficient?) versions around is very
handy for embedded applications.
Newer is not always better (look at the latest few Linux kernel
releases to see why :-) )

However, we should mention this fact in the recipe, so that any new
pair of eyes that decides to delete them can weight this in.

So my kind request would be to revert and then add a note in the older
recipe to keep them alive as they are superior in cases where low
memory is involved, or a specific device patch is applied.

Regards,
--
Leon