[oe] [RFC] xorg: upgrade to X11R7.6 and remove preferred-xorg-versions*.inc files

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 08:26:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:06:03AM -0500, Michael Smith wrote:
> Martin Jansa wrote:
> > * X11R7.6-RC1 was already released
> >   http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6-RC1/doc/xorg-docs/ReleaseNotes.html
> >   so it's IMHO time to start migration there
>
> >  .../include/angstrom-2010-preferred-versions.inc   |    1 -
> >  .../preferred-xorg-versions-X11R7.5-latest.inc     |  126 ------
> >  .../include/preferred-xorg-versions-X11R7.5.inc    |  286 -------------
>
> Hi Martin,

Hi Michael,

thanks for comment.

> As someone who has to update an embedded X11 build maybe once or twice a
>   year, but still wants to pull in other OE changes once in a while in
> between, I'd prefer to see the X11R7.5 includes stick around. There are
> many packages and it's hard for a non-expert to know which versions are
> meant to be used together.

Well I understand your point, but imho it's valid only in case X11R7.6
doesn't work on device you're supporting. I haven't seen any "dangerous"
changes between 7.5 and 7.6.

In other words, my proposal was about single set of versions maintained
as most other recipes, just with keeping latest unless maintainer puts
negative D_P there, so no need for any non-expert to know which versions
are meant to be used together and keep one globally tested set with
"rolling" updates instead jumping whole X11R* release once a year.

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com