[oe] [RFC] meta-openembedded layer for yocto hosted on oe.org

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:25:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com> wrote:

>> yes this is something what we should do. We need to setup gitolite on
>> the git server
>
> Can I just put in my 2 cents for some github love?  Chris got me started
> using it and I'm quite happy.  It'd also be less admin work and since I
> forked Chris' tree, my space usage is still practically nil (I'm not sure
> about his), so the free accounts are fine.

I'm sure our gitserver will never compare to github in features, but
it seems like there is a fundamental limit in that github cannot
possible host every git repo on the planet, especially for larger
projects like OE where you have a lot of people pulling.  I think
there is some value in:

1) hosting OE at openembedded.org (branding, professional image, etc).
 That said, I realize that companies like Nokia are hosting their
stuff on gitorious (http://qt.gitorious.org/), so perhaps this is not
an issue, though its likely Nokia is funding Gitorious to obtain
bandwidth, etc.
2) we are more in control of bandwidth, locations, etc.  We have a lot
of checkouts from our repo, and other than some problems in Europe, I
think our availability has been reasonably good.

I don't know if these benefits outweigh those provided by github.
Perhaps some others can share experiences.

Cliff