[oe] [RFC] meta-openembedded layer for yocto hosted on oe.org

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Dec 21 20:39:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com> wrote:
>
>>> yes this is something what we should do. We need to setup gitolite on
>>> the git server
>>
>> Can I just put in my 2 cents for some github love?  Chris got me started
>> using it and I'm quite happy.  It'd also be less admin work and since I
>> forked Chris' tree, my space usage is still practically nil (I'm not sure
>> about his), so the free accounts are fine.
>
> I'm sure our gitserver will never compare to github in features, but
> it seems like there is a fundamental limit in that github cannot
> possible host every git repo on the planet, especially for larger
> projects like OE where you have a lot of people pulling.  I think
> there is some value in:

Like Tom says, each user has a limit of what they can store with a
free account.  Any single git repository doesn't take much space.
When someone wants to do some personal work, they fork the upstream
repo into theirs (so they now have a single copy of the oe repository
in their account), and they work there.  I don't think space is much
of a concern.  The other points, about branding, etc are valid.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com