[oe] Working with OEMs

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Mon Feb 8 18:37:35 UTC 2010

On 02/08/2010 11:48 AM, C Michael Sundius wrote:
> - I find it a bit dishartening that Holger does not recommend you to use OE
> for software development. One of the main reasons we were in search for a
> comprehensive build system was so that we could offer a consistent means of
> buliding our entire distribution to all developers and Configurtion Mgmt,
> Testing, Release teams alike with out everyone having to be an expert with
> all parts of the system (and all different build tools that had cropped up
> in the different locations we have engineers - india, US east coast, west
> coast). It *is* difficult to make it work for devlopers and build teams
> alike, but having a consistent means building software is a huge step
> creating a really great build system. Further if people are discouraged from
> using OE as a tool for developers, then it will never get any better and
> this hole of support in OE will not be filled.

Another way of looking at Holder's response is that we feel we could do
a better job of supporting people using OE to do software development.
There are certainly ways to use OE to do SW development.

I would really like to see us look at improving the experience for
people doing sw dev for OE based distributions.

Philip