[oe] Cleanup / janitors

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Feb 17 00:57:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 09:39 +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> email as
> project,
> done?
> amounts
> certain,
> project,
> of
> would
> > >
> > > The first project that comes to mind is converting simple recipes (e.g.
> > > not perl) to new style staging. It's a fairly simple job that has a
> huge
> > > impact.
> >
> > Problem is to do that reliable.
>
> Isn't that a document it right, for Janitors problem?  ie:
> 1. Build recipe foo, with packaged-staging, your resuling pstage file
> is ..../foo_VERSION...ipk.  Copy this somewhere safe.
> 2. Modify recipe foo to use new style
> 3. -c clean foo, build again.
> 4. Examine contents of old and new pstaging file.  If the contents are
> the same (and say, diff rather than just checking names, so that any
> munging is caught), good to go!  If not ...
>
> The idea behind janitors is that there's tasks that can be explained and
> people can pick up and do, but there's some manual intervention and
> checking.  So, if someone fleshed out the above a little more, that
> should be enough for a legacy staging task.

Exactly, yes.  The expectation is these are things that may require a
certain amount of manual work.  If they didn't, we could write a sed script
and call it done.  The thread seems to have gotten quickly sidetracked into
the particular details of this one task.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com