[oe] [RFC] recipes/images/${distro}

Graeme Gregory dp at xora.org.uk
Sat Feb 27 16:56:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 04:25:27PM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I  think some restructuring is needed wrt distro's and images
> I did some counting and we currently have 32 distro's (ls
> conf/distro/*.conf | wc
> There are a few semi-dups (micro, minimal and oplinux have regular and
> uclibc versions, angstrom has angstrom-2008.1-legacy.conf  and
> angstrom-2008.1.conf, slugos has slugos, slugos-native and ucslugc)
>
> also we have 94 images (ls recipes/images/*.bb | wc)
> For some of these it is quite obvious for which distro's they are.
> Mostly because they are prefixed with the distro name (e.g.nylon,
> slugos, openmoko)
> but for several others it is less clear. grep -i -l angstromg
> recipes/images/*.bb | wc gives 30 but not all of them are angstrom
> specific.
> E.g. nas-server-image.bb mentions angstrom in the comment but is
> distro agnostic.
>
> Also sometimes the names are confusing. We have a minimal distro but
> minimal-image.bb is not an image for the minimal distro, but is an
> angstrom image.
>
> My proposal is to create distro specific subdirs and move all images
> from a distro to that specific subdir
> That makes it more insightful what belongs to what.
>
> (alternatively if creating an additional level within images is
> considered to be "not a good thing" we could either create directories
> like images_${distro} or maybe even just ${distro} where a distro can
> keep its stuff).
> (or yet alteratively we could prefix the distro specific images with
> the name of the distro)
>
> Your opinion is appreciated (and please do express your preference (if
> any) for an option (ofc keep-as-is is also possible) or coin another
> option)

NAK on creating extra levels.

Changing the level where recipes are held is not an option do to the way
you tell bitbake how to find them.

BBFILES = "${OE}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/*/*.bb"

The other option, angstrom images used to be in recipes/angstrom and we
were asked to move them out so other distros can use them. Id be quite
happy with them to return to angstrom/ as it seems they are not useful
to other distros anyway.

Graeme