[oe] [RFC] recipes/images/${distro}

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 17:21:58 UTC 2010

2010/2/27 Graeme Gregory <dp at xora.org.uk>:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 04:25:27PM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I  think some restructuring is needed wrt distro's and images
>> I did some counting and we currently have 32 distro's (ls
>> conf/distro/*.conf | wc
>> There are a few semi-dups (micro, minimal and oplinux have regular and
>> uclibc versions, angstrom has angstrom-2008.1-legacy.conf  and
>> angstrom-2008.1.conf, slugos has slugos, slugos-native and ucslugc)
>>
>> also we have 94 images (ls recipes/images/*.bb | wc)
>> For some of these it is quite obvious for which distro's they are.
>> Mostly because they are prefixed with the distro name (e.g.nylon,
>> slugos, openmoko)
>> but for several others it is less clear. grep -i -l angstromg
>> recipes/images/*.bb | wc gives 30 but not all of them are angstrom
>> specific.
>> E.g. nas-server-image.bb mentions angstrom in the comment but is
>> distro agnostic.
>>
>> Also sometimes the names are confusing. We have a minimal distro but
>> minimal-image.bb is not an image for the minimal distro, but is an
>> angstrom image.
>>
>> My proposal is to create distro specific subdirs and move all images
>> from a distro to that specific subdir
>> That makes it more insightful what belongs to what.
>>
>> (alternatively if creating an additional level within images is
>> considered to be "not a good thing" we could either create directories
>> like images_${distro} or maybe even just ${distro} where a distro can
>> keep its stuff).
>> (or yet alteratively we could prefix the distro specific images with
>> the name of the distro)
>>
>> Your opinion is appreciated (and please do express your preference (if
>> any) for an option (ofc keep-as-is is also possible) or coin another
>> option)
>>

> NAK on creating extra levels.
>
> Changing the level where recipes are held is not an option do to the way
> you tell bitbake how to find them.
>
> BBFILES = "${OE}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/*/*.bb"

One could do:
BBFILES = "${OE}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/*/${DISTRO}/*.bb"
BBFILES += "${OE}/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/*/*.bb"

> The other option, angstrom images used to be in recipes/angstrom and we
> were asked to move them out so other distros can use them. Id be quite
> happy with them to return to angstrom/ as it seems they are not useful
> to other distros anyway.

Well my main concern is that the current names are kinda misleading.
I got interested in minimal (the distro) but noticed minimal-image is
not for minimal distro (as I had hoped for).
Moving the recipe to the angstrom dir makes things a little bit
cleaner, but does not resolve the name conflict

(and on a personal note: maybe 25+ angstrom recipes is a little bit
overkill, are these all actually used? )

Frans