[oe] QA Goals for OpenEmbedded

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Wed Jan 6 04:07:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

mostly inspired by Guo's last mail about buildbot. In one way I agree with
Guo, we need more QA and also an attitute to not commit when the tree is
somehow broken...

Here is my list of short term goals and it would be cool if people sign up for
it:

	*) Does bitbake world work? If not it would be cool if someone could take
            a look?

        *) Fix compile errors of bitbake world for a set of configurations?

	*) Koen reported that dependency loop reporting is not working anymore..
            anyone cares to invest thes five minutes to fix that?

	*) Sometimes we have pretty embarassing issues like some images switching
            from mdev back to udev and we don't notice for months(!!!)
            It would totally rock if one could change the rootfs.bbclass (or
            such) class and count the size of the image on the first run, store
            it in the temp directory and report the diff's back to the
            tinderbox and then we could have a view on the tinderbox?

            Inside the build summary we should see the new size of the image
            and the growth compared to the first built?

            The idea would be to have people look at the waterfall and go OMG
            why did "minimal-image" grow by 2MB?

          *) The next step would be to transfer packet sizes as well

	  *) Integrate some testing into recipes. E.g. attempt to boot the console-
             image and grep the Serial Console for the "Loging:" prompt..
             Test the toolchain to compile binaries...

anyone feels like helping?
	z.