[oe] QA Goals for OpenEmbedded

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:49:23 UTC 2010

2010/1/6 Holger Hans Peter Freyther <holger+oe at freyther.de>:
> Hi all,
>
> mostly inspired by Guo's last mail about buildbot. In one way I agree with
> Guo, we need more QA and also an attitute to not commit when the tree is
> somehow broken...
>

> Here is my list of short term goals and it would be cool if people sign up for
> it:
>

>        *) Does bitbake world work? If not it would be cool if someone could take
>            a look?
>
>        *) Fix compile errors of bitbake world for a set of configurations?
>
>        *) Koen reported that dependency loop reporting is not working anymore..
>            anyone cares to invest thes five minutes to fix that?
>
>        *) Sometimes we have pretty embarassing issues like some images switching
>            from mdev back to udev and we don't notice for months(!!!)
>            It would totally rock if one could change the rootfs.bbclass (or
>            such) class and count the size of the image on the first run, store
>            it in the temp directory and report the diff's back to the
>            tinderbox and then we could have a view on the tinderbox?
>
>            Inside the build summary we should see the new size of the image
>            and the growth compared to the first built?
>
>            The idea would be to have people look at the waterfall and go OMG
>            why did "minimal-image" grow by 2MB?
>
>          *) The next step would be to transfer packet sizes as well
>
>          *) Integrate some testing into recipes. E.g. attempt to boot the console-
>             image and grep the Serial Console for the "Loging:" prompt..
>             Test the toolchain to compile binaries...
>

> anyone feels like helping?
>        z.

Holger, I'm always open to helping (time permitting of course).

Another thing I found missing is the lack of error messages in the
classes if e.g. a file is missing. In some cases this seems to be
silently ignored.
Had a case yesterday (will report on it in a separate message) and
also saw it on a different place to report (but forgot to note it and
can't recall it, sorry).

Frans

(btw dependency testing worked for me a few days ago, but that was on
a tree that was not in the dev head).

Frans.