[oe] TSC Meeting 7/1/2010

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Jan 14 13:53:01 UTC 2010

On 01/14/2010 04:02 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

>> Commit messages were mentioned. It should be clear from reading the
>> commit message what the change applies to and why its necessary. The TSC
>> will start naming and shaming people making lousy commit messages and
>> reserve the right to impose sanctions against repeat offenders.
>
> I agree that we want good commit messages.
>
> Some remarks though:
>
> Before publicly naming and shaming people, I would suggest discussing
> it with the offender in private email or on irc.
> Naming and shaming might drive people away from oe.
>
> I suggest that when someone gets commit rights (s)he is explicity
> reminded of http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Commit_Policy and
> http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Commit_log_example
>
> I suggest to review the rules;. E.g. this one:
> # This should all be on one line and you should leave an empty line
> before any detailed commit information.
> Nice, but if you use git commit and enter your message empty lines are removed.
>
> Also i suggest an additional rule that commit messages should be polite.
> E.g. no snide remarks on someone who made an earlier patch or on the
> source package or on the code itself.

The commit messages problem has been an on going issue. For some reason,
there seems to be a never ending series of commits with not very good
messages.

People, when you are working with new contributors, encourage them to
start out using good commit messages so the the problems Frans is
describing do not crop up.

Project specific branches should also strive to follow the commit
message form so that changes can easily be merged into the main OE repo.

Philip