[oe] beagleboard-demo-image, and the evil that is "gnome-games"

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Sun Jan 17 18:27:33 UTC 2010

> >   that package was the final obstacle to getting a BB-demo-image
> > build.  other packages that were failing -- e2fsprogs, mplayer --
> > have recently been fixed, leaving gnome-games as the sole remaining
> > cause of build grief.
> >
> >   a suggestion -- until the issue with gnome-games is resolved, why
> > not just remove its inclusion from the bb-demo-image task?  i'm being
> > quite serious -- it's obviously not a critical package, and if it's
> > the only thing keeping people from building and testing the OE dev
> > branch for the beagleboard, take it out so folks can get back to
> > testing.

Just to chip in on this,

I build 3 or 4 images daily that feature gnome-games (inc. bb-demo) on
several build hosts (ok, none are Fedora based, mostly DEB based setups).

Can't say I have had any build issues with gnome-games on any of those
setups (gnome-system-tools is my nemesis today and that's no in bb-demo
;-)).

I personally don't favour taking packages out of an image if there are build
issues on a small subset of systems. I think Phil (or someone else) suggest
you consider contributing your build logs to OESTATS/TinderBox
(http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/How_do_I_send_automatic_success_and_
failure_reports) at least with that setup you leave a reference the failing
logs in bug reports/mails so people can have a look into all the gory
details :).

Cheers,

John