[oe] [RFC] Zaurus: make updater.sh obsolete for poodle, clamshells and tosa

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Sun Jan 17 19:13:05 UTC 2010

Dnia niedziela, 17 stycznia 2010 o 15:06:19 Andrea Adami napisał(a):
> Reading the post about gnu-tar I remember we talked about a new way to
> install 2.6 kernels and images on Zaurus.

Any way is good but I hope that there still be a way to install OE build
results on SharpROM based Zaurus.

> Well, there are very good reasons to make this now obsolete:
> - we can flash from console (2.6 userspace)
> - we have a different image-layout (kernel in /boot), thus we can boot
> from every hd partition
> - we can create jffs2 images (see Narcissus) and flash these from
> console, without striping the legacy headers. We can even have 2
> images in nand

> My idea would be:
>
> -refactor updater.sh and flash only kernels
> -provide an updater script

What about this (note that I do not track kexecboot work):

- make updater.sh which will flash kexecboot kernel and reboot
- let kexecboot initramfs checks for CARD/sysupdate.sh
- CARD/sysupdate.sh will update rootfs/kernel etc and reboot

sysupdate.sh name is chosen to allow updater.sh (for crappy bootloader) and
real update script to be on same card. This way you can update any Zaurus
nevermind what kind of OS it had before. And as kexecboot kernel will have our
nand split table inside anything can be done in sysupdate.sh script (formating
/ and /home for example or installing them from card images etc).

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz