[oe] [RFC] Zaurus: make updater.sh obsolete for poodle, clamshells and tosa

Yuri Bushmelev jay4mail at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 19:58:25 UTC 2010

Hello!
> Dnia niedziela, 17 stycznia 2010 o 15:06:19 Andrea Adami napisał(a):
> > Reading the post about gnu-tar I remember we talked about a new way to
> > install 2.6 kernels and images on Zaurus.
>
> Any way is good but I hope that there still be a way to install OE build
> results on SharpROM based Zaurus.

You can boot old 2.4 based ROM's with kexecboot too. I have reports of
success booting of Cacko e.g.

> What about this (note that I do not track kexecboot work):
>
> - make updater.sh which will flash kexecboot kernel and reboot
> - let kexecboot initramfs checks for CARD/sysupdate.sh
> - CARD/sysupdate.sh will update rootfs/kernel etc and reboot
>
> sysupdate.sh name is chosen to allow updater.sh (for crappy bootloader)
>  and real update script to be on same card. This way you can update any
>  Zaurus nevermind what kind of OS it had before. And as kexecboot kernel
>  will have our nand split table inside anything can be done in
>  sysupdate.sh script (formating / and /home for example or installing
>  them from card images etc).

We should not update kernel while using kexecboot. We can only update distro
(rootfs with kernel inside) in NAND.
I'm not sure that we have too much ordinary users who will flash to NAND
instead of external SD/CF. Advanced user can boot from console-image from SD
and 'flash' by hands according to some README/wiki instructions. Or we can
provide special NAND-installer image for this.

But anyway having something like legacy-updater.bb is good idea.

--
Yuri Bushmelev