[oe] Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jan 24 15:34:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On Sunday 24 January 2010 14:50:39 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   as long as users know the risks, i'd personally *encourage* them
> > to use the dev version, and reports bugs they find.  the more
> > testers, the better, no?
>
> It really depends. People following the getting started
> documentation are normally not in the class of users that know the
> risks?! Do you agree?

  absolutely, which is why i qualified that recommendation with "as
long as users know the risks", with the risks (or at least reasonable
cautions) pointed out to them.

> On the other hand I agree totally agree that more testers the
> better, but IMO this would also mean that they follow the low volume
> bitbake-dev mailinglist, to get information like the svn->git
> switch, branches and such?!

  i'm currently updating the bitbake manual (yes, you should be
nervous) and i noticed that there is nothing early on about how to
*get* bitbake.  so i'm going to add a short section, suggesting first
to use the latest official tarball (explaining where to get it),
followed by a section for more advanced users on how to check it out,
with the appropriate cautions.

  there will be a HUGE caution added that people should make sure
they're not running an old version.

rday