[oe] USE flags mumbling

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Jul 1 22:12:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> On 01-07-10 18:24, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> > We already have BBCLASSEXTENDS which modifies ${PN} of a package and
> > can use overrides to change behaviors of recipes.
> >
> > Maybe USE flags could be implemented in a similar fashing.
> >
> > DISTRO_USE = "nossl nox11"
> >
> > EXTRA_OECONF_append_use-nossl = "--disable-ssl"
> >
> > ${PN} of the recipe becomes XXXX-nossl
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Just that USE flags shouldn't be used if seperate recipes can solve it
> as well.

In general I disagree with this, though I understand where you're coming
from (Tom Rini made it clear in a discussion earlier).  I don't think it'd
be terribly difficult to be able to automatically encode the use flags (at
least for non-default) in the PKG, while having it RPROVIDES ${PN}, so that
it would be obvious looking at the feeds.  Alternatively, we can in the
future utilize the code I'm working on for checksumming the metadata or
portions of the metadata to ensure that variants are encoded in the package
naming.  Opinions?
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com