[oe] USE flags mumbling

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Thu Jul 1 22:16:14 UTC 2010

Koen Kooi wrote:

> On 01-07-10 18:24, Graeme Gregory wrote:
>> We already have BBCLASSEXTENDS which modifies ${PN} of a package and
>> can use overrides to change behaviors of recipes.
>>
>> Maybe USE flags could be implemented in a similar fashing.
>>
>> DISTRO_USE = "nossl nox11"
>>
>> EXTRA_OECONF_append_use-nossl = "--disable-ssl"
>>
>> ${PN} of the recipe becomes XXXX-nossl
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Just that USE flags shouldn't be used if seperate recipes can solve it
> as well.

If I may, I'd like to articulate what I believe to be the technical
argument behind this statement.

One of the issues with some form of USE flags, and I believe this is one
of the big ones for Angstrom as well as any other public feed publishing
distribution is that having a single recipe that does different things
based on variables makes maintaining their feed (and allowing users to
publish their own compatible feeds) a nightmare.

This is because there isn't any form of use flag checking (a simple case
of 1:1 or the more complex case of flagA needs flagB and flagC doesn't
care about flagD -> flagZ).

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation